[AG-TECH] Good Cheap Scan Converter

Ben Green ben.green at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 04:02:47 CST 2008

Hi Todd,

I have a video loopback 'test room' node here that uses the following item:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kworld-PC-TV-Converter-USB/dp/B000FIEIMS/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203068982&sr=8-2

I'm basically using it to convert the VGA output into composite video, and capture this with a Winnov 1100. Once connected to a venue, other nodes will then see their video within the test room node's video transmission, much like the setup in our AGSC Test Room venue (which actually uses a webcam pointed at a monitor, but has the same effect!).

This item works really well, but does require powering on via a switch each time the PC is turned off.

The following item is also very cheap:

http://www.avervision.com/UK/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?id=15

And I believe is 'always on' when the PC is on.

Both these items are quite basic, but so cheap you can't go wrong. And for use with AG screen resolution, I'm not sure that you'd need anything better.

Cheers, Ben.