[AG-TECH] Global Quality Assurance Program

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Mon Feb 4 23:37:37 CST 2008

Dear Access Grid Colleagues

I would like to take this opportunity to promote the Global Quality
Assurance testing of Access Grids.

A list of all of the Access Grids that have been quality assured can be
found at the Global Node listing website
(http://www.accessgrid.org/nodes). Note, those Access Grid node listings
that have a red tick have been given quality assurance status.

As some of you may experience poor AG sessions from time to time, the
global quality assurance program has been developed to improve the
overall user experience of the Access Grid. I am sure people have had at
least one of the following experiences:

*	It took ages to finally get everything going;

*	The audio was terrible (and people walked out);

*	The whole session was a complete failure and a waste of time.

The Global QA Process has a number of benefits, these being:

*	A way to identify good quality nodes;

*	A process to provide feedback to nodes that require improvement.

*	Promote confidence when connecting to a new access grid node -
if it has been Quality Assured, you know it should work and work well

For a quality assured node example, http://www.accessgrid.org/node/480,
you can see the "ACCESS GRID CAPABILITIES" it has been given as part of
the quality assurance process.  These capabilities are dynamically added
to your node listing when your Access Grid node passes a QA test.  For
the AG node listed above, it has been QA tested and has the following AG
capabilities:

Access Grid Version 3 Capabilities

*	Shared Presentation
*	Shared Browser
*	VenueVNC-Client
*	VenueVNC-Server

Access Grid Version 2 Capabilities
*	Shared Presentation
*	Shared Browser
*	VenueVNC-Client
*	VenueVNC-Server

Additional Capabilities
*	VNC Viewer enabled
*	VNC Server enabled

Unfortunately to date, I "currently" do not have anyone in the United
States acting as a regional tester, therefore one of the purposes of
this email to ask whether there are people in the U.S, or anywhere else
that is interested, who would be interested in becoming a Regional QA
Tester for the Access Grid.  A current list of Regional testers can be
found at http://www.accessgrid.org/qatesters. Prerequisites for being a
regional QA tester are:
	Your node must be "Quality Assured" (this is generally done by
me);
	You would need to undergo some basic training (about an hour's
worth); and
	It would be preferable if you have been using Access Grids on a
regular basis for some time.

If you are interested, please don't hesitate to contact me!!!

For those who wish to obtain Quality Assured Status, it is recommended
that you:

*	Read http://www.accessgrid.org/node/493 to find out the test
requirements for the quality assurance process.

*	Read http://www.accessgrid.org/node/352 to obtain hints and tips
on getting your Access Grid Node up to the required high standard.

*	The website http://www.accessgrid.org/node/705 highlights the
marking sheets.  These are the same marking sheets that "we" as QA
testers will use.

*	Contact your local regional QA AG tester, as list can be found
at http://www.accessgrid.org/qatesters.

You may wish to run through the marking sheet and do a quick self test
of your own node.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks for your time,
Jason.

Jason Bell, B.I.T.

B. Info. Tech. (Honours) Student

High Performance Computing Support Officer,
Network Engineer
Information Technology Division
Central Queensland University

E-mail : j.bell at cqu.edu.au