[AG-TECH] Development of the "Access Grid Installation Guide for Fedora 10" documentation

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Mon Dec 8 23:59:52 CST 2008

Colleagues

I would like to announce the development of the "Access Grid
Installation Guide for Fedora 10" documentation.  See
http://www.accessgrid.org/node/1133.

Some of the topics covered include:

    * Introduction
    * Single and Multi-Node Access Grids Notes
    * Installation of Fedora 10
    * First time Login
    * Getting Networking to work under Fedora 10 (Under Development)
    * Updating to latest Software and Patches
    * Installation of the Access Grid Software
    * Getting the Display to Work
    * Setup For Access Grid Toolkit 3.x
    * Configuring a Unicast Bridge
    * Installing Multicast Beacon
    * Installing Other Useful Software
    * Scheduling useful tasks
    * Security (Please note that this page is going to be reviewed quite
extensively and updated shortly)
    * Configuring a 3.x Venue Server
    * Getting the DV and HDV Node Services to Work
    * Handy Tips and Tricks
    * Troubleshooting Tips
    * Conclusion

This install guide is currently under development and I would welcome
feedback on this.

There are a couple of sections that still require further work, such as:

*	Getting Networking to work under Fedora 10 (Under Development)

	As I need to add more DHCP information

*	Handy Tips and Tricks

	As I would like to add a Desktop Sharing section, which allows
remote control of Desktop!

*	Security (Please note that this document is going to be reviewed
quite extensively and updated shortly)

	I would like to do some extensive testing and update this
information more...  IE, what system service actually need running (Has
anything changed much from previous Fedora Versions).  Additionally, I
would like to redo the firewall section and test each setting for
validly and whether any additional setting is required.

*	Getting the DV and HDV Node Services to Work

	It is my understanding that the DV and HDV services "may" be
added to the AG repo, which will make installing and configuring a lot
simpler...  I will wait for this to be done, before adding the content.

*	Getting the Sound Working

	I would like to add a section on this.  But before I do, I need
to conduct more testing of ASLA and OSS, as I believe ALSA settings may
have improved significantly.  Additionally, I would like to know if
there are any more issues with PulseAudio, as there were with Fedora 8.

Anyway, hopefully some of you might find it useful, particularly the
networking section, as that is quite problematic in my opinion.

Thanks for your time,
Jason.

Jason Bell, B.I.T. (Honours)

Research Systems Support Officer
Information Technology Division
CQ University Australia

Australian Research Collaboration Service
http://www.arcs.org.au/

E-mail : j.bell at cqu.edu.au
         jason.bell at arcs.org.au
Work   : +61 7 4930 9229
Mobile : 0409 630897
Postal : Building 19
         Central Queensland University
         Bruce Highway
         Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, 4702
Patience is a virtue.

But if I wanted Patience,
I would have become a Doctor.