[AG-TECH] Equiptment ideas?

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Aug 12 06:22:34 CDT 2008

Generator Microsoft Word 11 (filtered medium) Hi,

Just to add that the projects (there are two now) that use this are Edance and CREW. We are using a custom user interface i.e. not vic, because we found that vic doesn' t support firewire as well as it could -  it tends to work fine with H261AS codec so long as you set the size to large. If we tried anything else, it would come up with a fuzzy image, as if it assumed that the size was the size the codec supported (when it was more likely to be four times the size). One other issue is that if you have the frame rate at 25fps, vic will use lots of CPU (as does our own tool -  vic at least allows you to reduce the frame rate, something we have not yet implemented).

Optical zoom is usually very good (some up to 40x), and you can get MotorPod interfaces to allow pan and tilt (or a motorized tripod head). We haven' t tried pan and tilt so far -  we just go and point the camcorder (especially as you get a preview via the camcorder' s own screen).

Andrew J
--------------------------------------------------------- Andrew G D Rowley Senior Development Officer Research Computing Services The University of Manchester Kilburn Building, Oxford Road Manchester, M13 9PL t : +44 (0) 161 275 0685 e : Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk w : www.manchester.ac.uk/researchcomputing ---------------------------------------------------------
From: owner-ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov [mailto:owner-ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov] On Behalf Of Ben Green Sent: 12 August 2008 11:18 To: Douglas Baggett; ag-tech Subject: RE: [AG-TECH] Equiptment ideas?

An AG related projecthere at Manchester uses 2 Sony Camcordersconnected toa dual port firewire PCMCIA card, plugged into a laptop. They're much cheaper than VC cameras with an equivalent optical quality. In fact, I think the optical zoom is even better with most camcorders. You'd have to use the IR remote controls to zoom though, and wouldn't get any tilt/pan control.

Ben.

From: owner-ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov [mailto:owner-ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov] On Behalf Of Douglas Baggett Sent: 11 August 2008 21:30 To: ag-tech Subject: Re: [AG-TECH] Equiptment ideas?
What about a good high end Firewire video camera? I'm looking to put one on a Mac Pro? Any ideas

-Doug B
OCI/NSF