[AG-TECH] HD audio & USB audio on Linux?

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Wed Apr 16 18:01:22 CDT 2008

On 17/04/2008, at 7:34 AM, Andrew Ford wrote:

> The chips in these machines are the Realtek ALC885, or 882...
> device manager says 882, but the Ubuntu sound preferences app and
> RAT both see 885. From what I've gathered from some quick googling,
> it looks like this one might be supported in 2.6.22, but I've seen
> talk of mic input via ALSA not working. However, RAT doesn't see
> ALSA at all in the audio devices list, just OSS. Should I bite the
> bullet and upgrade to 8.04 just to see what happens?

Andrew,

ALSA is what is actually being used all the time. However ALSA
includes an OSS compatibility layer which is why you see OSS as being
available. We've always found that, for some weird reason, RAT's
audio quality is better when you select OSS - even though this is
really just ALSA pretending to be OSS.

Whether to upgrade to 8.04 depends on your local requirements. We've
been using it here for testing and preparing AG packages in advance
of 8.04's official release and its been working well for us so far.
However its essentially a development machine rather than a
production machine so your mileage may vary. Given the stability of
the 8.04 beta (and also its release being only a week away), if I had
your audio problem, I would upgrade just to see what happens.

chris