[AG-TECH] Error storing node configuration - Linux

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Thu Apr 3 08:08:44 CDT 2008

On 03/04/2008, at 10:42 PM, Christoph Willing wrote:

> On 03/04/2008, at 8:37 PM, Ben Green wrote:
>
>> After adding my VideoProducer, I've never been able to store the
>> current node configuration as default for AG3.1 under Fedora or
>> Debian.
>>
>> I suspect a certain file doesn't have the correct write permissions.
>>
>> It just means I have to add the VideoProducer service every time I
>> start my client - no big problem, but slightly annoying.
>>
>> The error message is "Error storing node configuration default".
>>
>> Does anyone know how to fix this?
>
> Ben,
>
> You can't ordinarily store a new configuration as a System
> configuration so don't check the "Save as system configuration" in
> the Store Configuration dialogue. The difference between a system
> and non-system configuration is that the non-system configuration
> is stored in the user's ~/.AccessGrid3/Config/nodeConfig directory
> whereas a system configuration is stored in /etc/AccessGrid3/Config/
> nodeConfig directory where the ordinary user doesn't have
> permission to write anything.
>
> If you're not setting the "Save as system configuration" check box
> and still having this problem, then you could be the victim of a
> situation where some or all of the user's ~/.AccessGrid3 file tree
> is (incorrectly) owned by root instead of by the user. This is
> actually a packaging issue which will be fixed soon.

In fact, its an installation issue rather than a packaging issue. If
you use something like:
	sudo apt-get install accessgrid3.1
to install the AG Toolkit for the very first time on a machine and
there's no existing ~/.AccessGrid3 directory tree, then a
~/.AccessGrid3 directory tree will be created in the home directory
of the user (at the time when the shared apps are installed). The
whole of that directory tree will be incorrectly owned by root. To
ensure proper ownerships, the correct installation command is:
	sudo -H apt-get install accessgrid3.1

The installation instruction page will be corrected.

Since the damage is already done in your case, you should apply the
fix below.

chris

> In the meantime you can repair this youself by running in a shell:
>     sudo chown -R username ~username/.AccessGrid3
>
> after which storing of the node configuration should work.

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland