[AG-TECH] AG3 FreeBSD port install error

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Thu Sep 27 07:54:17 CDT 2007

On 27/09/2007, at 9:19 PM, Rohit J wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got Gentoo 2.6.22-r5 running on amd64.  When I try to install AG3
> FreeBSD port, following the instructions on
> http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/ag3/freebsd/ I get the following error:
>
> AG-3.0.2-ports # make install
> Makefile:60: *** missing separator.  Stop.

Rohit,

The AG3 port for FreeBSD was built & tested on FreeBSD - you're
probably the first person to try using it with a Gentoo system, so
you should expect a few problems.

I assume you're running a Gentoo/FreeBSD system as described at
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/bsd/fbsd/ ? Since your error
at line 60 is at the inclusion of <bsd.port.pre.mk>, I think you
should investigate the implications of the following comment from
that page:

"Although it ships with some files .mk (that contains BSD makefile
templates used to build applications using BSD style), they are too
barebone to actually build FreeBSD software, so you need to install
the file set from FreeBSD. The ebuild is sys-freebsd/freebsd-mk-defs
and it's crosscompile aware: when building on a non-FreeBSD system it
installs in /usr/share/mk/freebsd and uses GNU syntaxes."

Although we don't have the resources to investigate this further
ourselves (even the "pure" FreeBSD port is something of a sideline),
I'd be interested to see whether you can make this combination work.

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland