[AG-TECH] Realtek compatibility with RAT

Sam Gundry sgundry at vpac.org
Tue Sep 11 18:01:09 CDT 2007

Hi,

I understand that Realtek audio cards (chips?) are not compatible with
RAT. Is this still the case for the latest RAT, bundled with AG 3.1
Beta? (I no longer have a Realtek card to test.)

If so, for what reasons? I assume they are technical; what are they?  Is
the problem at RAT's or Realtek's end? Is there a feasible work-around?
Is there potential to actually solve the problem? I've heard something
about the Realtek chips not supporting 'proper' multi-cast...

I ask because I am employed by VPAC (www.vpac.org) and work with both
RAT and VIC. My boss is interested in providing realtek compatibility.

I'm not sure of the contractual and intellectual property licensing
specifics - we're a not-for-profit organisation for what it's worth -
but it'd be good to get an idea of the amount of work required, if it is
at all feasible, to provide realtek compatibility.

I appreciate any feedback.

Regards,
Sam
--
Centre for Computational Prototyping
Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing