[AG-TECH] Dropping OSS device in Rat (Linux)

Todd Zimmerman toddz at sfu.ca
Wed Oct 31 17:56:06 CDT 2007

Jason Bell wrote:
> G'day all
>
> This is just a quick email to see if anyone else has been experiencing
> an issue that I have been having lately.
>
> Basically on my "Linux" systems (Fedora Core 6 and Fedora 7), sometimes
> when Rat is started, the Device "OSS" device is missing in which is then
> defaulted to an "ALSA" device.
>
> The reason why this is an issue is the "OSS" device produces far
> superior audio quality, when compared to "ALSA" (Though I realize that
> "OSS" is just a wrapper on ASLA with the default Fedora Kernel).

hmm. I'm not sure I've seen this issue although it somewhat rings a bell.  The real point though is
that we shouldn't have to use the OSS driver at all.  I totally agree that the OSS driver is much
better quality - but the fact that it will not share with other applications makes it very
frustrating to use.

IMO, what we need to solve is not the disappearing OSS device - its the ALSA quality issue.

Just my 0.02 ;-)

Todd