[AG-TECH] VPCScreen Capture

gurcharan khanna gskpop at cis.rit.edu
Mon Oct 29 05:39:44 CDT 2007

Jason,

What is the maximum pixel resolution of the transmitted image?

And is the framerate a max of 10 as indicated on the screenshot?

Thanks,

-gurcharan

PS I am looking for a way to transmit the entire desktop at full resolution
and 30 fps. Doing it without additional hardware would be great!

Jason Bell wrote:
> Dear colleagues
>
> I would like to take this opportunity to highlight an add-on service for
> the Access Grid that is extremely useful.  (With thanks to Rhys Hawkins
> and       Yifan Lu for there development work)
>
> VPCScreen is a video producer service for the AccessGrid that captures
> your desktop (or part thereof) and sends it as an H261, H261AS or JPEG
> video stream.
>
> It is particularly useful for when you wish to send only part of a
> display, or just a single window.
>
> VPCScreen is available for Linux and Windows (Sorry Mac users, though
> you can view the VPCScreen streams).
>
> VPCScreen Capture Uses
> ----------------------
>
> o Streaming of a PowerPoint or equivalent presentation
>
> o Streaming a video/animation
>
> o Streaming a unique application
>
> o Streaming any particular item from your desktop to everyone else
>
> VPCScreen Capture Benefits
> --------------------------
>
> o If using H261AS and transmitting at custom size, this allows pixel to
> pixel screen resolution and doesn't require any additional applications
> to view the stream.  This is very useful for sessions that have lots of
> connections which "VNC" or "Share Presentations" become problematic!
>
> o All is required is the latest version of vic, which come supplied with
> the AGTK 3.1Beta2 (or later) release
>
> o Because video stream is injected into the multicast stream, you can
> record (using AGVCR or similar) presentations as part of the recording.
>
> Details on VPCSCreen and it associated download can be found at
> http://www.accessgrid.org/project/VPCScreen.
>
> I hope you find this application as useful as I do.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Jason.

> Jason Bell, B.I.T.
>
> B. Info. Tech. (Honours) Student
>
> High Performance Computing Support Officer,
> Network Engineer
> Information Technology Division
> Central Queensland University
>
> E-mail : j.bell at cqu.edu.au
> Phone : 07 4930 9229
> Patience is a virtue.
>
> But if I wanted Patience,
> I would have become a Doctor.

-------------------------
Gurcharan S. Khanna, Ph.D.
Director of Research Computing
Office of the Vice President for Research

Director, Interactive Collaboration Environments Laboratory,
Center for the Advancing the Study of Cyberinfrastructure
---
Rochester Institute of Technology
1 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, New York 14623-5603
Phone: 585-475-7504  ~  Cell: 585-451-8370
Email: gurcharan.khanna at rit.edu
Http:  www.rit.edu/~gskpop