[AG-TECH] VPCScreen Capture

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Mon Oct 29 00:19:54 CDT 2007

Dear colleagues

I would like to take this opportunity to highlight an add-on service for
the Access Grid that is extremely useful.  (With thanks to Rhys Hawkins
and       Yifan Lu for there development work)

VPCScreen is a video producer service for the AccessGrid that captures
your desktop (or part thereof) and sends it as an H261, H261AS or JPEG
video stream.

It is particularly useful for when you wish to send only part of a
display, or just a single window.

VPCScreen is available for Linux and Windows (Sorry Mac users, though
you can view the VPCScreen streams).

VPCScreen Capture Uses
----------------------

o Streaming of a PowerPoint or equivalent presentation

o Streaming a video/animation

o Streaming a unique application

o Streaming any particular item from your desktop to everyone else

VPCScreen Capture Benefits
--------------------------

o If using H261AS and transmitting at custom size, this allows pixel to
pixel screen resolution and doesn't require any additional applications
to view the stream.  This is very useful for sessions that have lots of
connections which "VNC" or "Share Presentations" become problematic!

o All is required is the latest version of vic, which come supplied with
the AGTK 3.1Beta2 (or later) release

o Because video stream is injected into the multicast stream, you can
record (using AGVCR or similar) presentations as part of the recording.

Details on VPCSCreen and it associated download can be found at
http://www.accessgrid.org/project/VPCScreen.

I hope you find this application as useful as I do.

Thanks for your time,
Jason.

Jason Bell, B.I.T.

B. Info. Tech. (Honours) Student

High Performance Computing Support Officer,
Network Engineer
Information Technology Division
Central Queensland University

E-mail : j.bell at cqu.edu.au