[AG-TECH] Help with promoting AG on campus

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 09:32:26 CST 2007

We had a interesting meeting with the network and IT staff yesterday
and they were asking questions we didn't have answers to concerning
bandwidth issues, why is it "free" software, why have open access to
everybody, etc.. to name a few. They were concerned more about users
outside the University connecting to our Venueserver and using the
campus' bandwidth than anything else. We have been trying to get them
to open access to external bridge servers, but once they hear that
anybody can connect and use our bandwidth, red flags come up and we're
refused.

At the end of the meeting, I threw out the idea of having other
Universities network or IT staff talk to ours so they could get a
better understanding of using and managing AG on campus. Large
Universities and National Labs have already dealt with these issues,
so I'm certain they can explain it better than we can.

I would like to get thoughts and ideas from other AG managers and
users of the best way to proceed. If possible I'd like to schedule an
AG meeting with our staff so they can actually see what the AG
experience is like and get the answers they want.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility