[AG-TECH] Loss of Jabber service prevents VIC and RAT launching (possibly).

Ben Green Ben.Green at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 07:50:54 CST 2007

Since this morning, it takes about 3 to 4 minutes for VIC and RAT to launch when we connect to a virtual venue with an AG3 client multicast connection. This obviously means there are no audio or video services running during this delay, effectively disabling the client.

This doesn't happen with a bridged connection, i.e. VIC and RAT launch straight away. And once a bridged connection has been established to a virtual venue, you can switch back to multicast and VIC and RAT launch as normal without delay. Luckily this last point has provided us with a workaround to offer the UK AG3 community, who would otherwise have been without a venue service all day!

My guess is that it's related to the Jabber service failure, although as this hasn't happened before when Jabber has gone down, this could suggest a different type of Jabber failure.

Of course, these issues may not be related (apologies for suggesting it, if this turns out to be the case), but we get the same effect when we connect to either of our AG3 venue servers, and also vv3.mcs.anl.gov.

I've attached my four relevant client log files. You'll see that I started the client at 10:10:02 and it wasn't until 10:13:58 that VIC and RAT launched. The VenueClient.noJabber.log file shows a series of 36 second 'time-outs' following the attempted connection to the Jabber server.

I hope this info proves to be useful. Once the Jabber service is resumed, I'll test everything again and confirm whether we're still experiencing this problem. I'd be interested to know if anyone else also sees this delay in the launch of VIC and RAT.

Regards, Ben.

|=============================|
| Ben Green                   |
| Access Grid Support Centre  |