[AG-TECH] Mac buffer tweak?

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Fri Nov 9 22:36:05 CST 2007

On 10/11/2007, at 7:56 AM, gurcharan khanna wrote:

> Mark,
>
> my link to the source for this seems to be broken but here's what i
> have personally on my mac.
>
> in /etc/sysctl.conf, add these lines:
>

> net.inet.tcp.recvspace=4000000
> net.inet.tcp.sendspace=4000000
> kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=8000000

Those settings look like they may have come from:
     http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/tcptune/

However, note that TCP tuning is the subject there, not UDP (which is
what multicast uses).

chris

> you probably have to restart to activate them. you can set these from
> the command line as well but they won't "stick", but you can try
> out different
> settings that way.
>
> use: sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.recvspace=4000000        (for example)
>
> to set these values interactively.
>
> -gurcharan
>

> Leonard, Mark wrote:
>> Listers--
>>
>> It was probably a year ago that a setting change for Mac OS that
>> improved video quality of big video multicast streams (Gurcharan?)
>> but I
>> can't seem to find it any where...
>>
>> Can someone repost or point me towards a troubleshooting page for
>> tweaks
>> like this?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mark
>>

>> Mark Leonard
>> DL Studios, UNH
>> 603-862-0192
>>

> --
> -------------------------
> Gurcharan S. Khanna, Ph.D.
> Director of Research Computing
> Office of the Vice President for Research
>
> Director, Interactive Collaboration Environments Laboratory,
> Center for the Advancing the Study of Cyberinfrastructure
> ---
> Rochester Institute of Technology
> 1 Lomb Memorial Drive
> Rochester, New York 14623-5603
> Phone: 585-475-7504  ~  Cell: 585-451-8370
> Email: gurcharan.khanna at rit.edu
> Http:  people.rit.edu/gskpop

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland