[AG-TECH] Distant Education Funding Models

john langkals langkals at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Wed May 2 09:08:13 CDT 2007

I am looking for any input from the Access Grid community concerning distant
education funding models.  **It's a little late, but I would like to suggest
a broader topic as motivation for the Access Grid Retreat: AG Distant
Education Funding Models.

The interest has been generated at other universities to have their students
possibly 'take' some of our advanced courses, IF we can come up with a
funding model that works.  We have the technology and expertise in house to
do this, but don't know how to handle the funding mechanics.

Within various departments, faculty complains of not enough grad students to
justify teaching their favorite seminars.  It's suggested that they
investigate spreading the opportunity around by investigating whether we
could 'share' students among a number of universities, with instruction
shared among the faculty.

What do you do at your respective institutions?  Are there any success
stories to share?

Thank you,

John

John Langkals