[AG-TECH] Sony EVI-HD1 camera

John I Quebedeaux Jr johnq at lsu.edu
Fri Mar 9 09:11:31 CST 2007

Christoph,

I think the demo would be good to see.  I agree with your thought
there - until there is such thing as more bandwidth than we can fill
up there will be sites with constraints and the ability to choose
which versions of which streams (high vs low resolution/high vs low
bandwidth) having those choices is a good thing.

To address having multiple versions of streams and sites not having
the bandwidth, break them up into different groups (multicast
addresses). Say, you only want the h261 streams - that's one group.
DV... HD... HDV other groups. You only "get" a group if you "connect"
to it... etc. of course, then we start actually using groups! and
then we're back to the issue of multicasting. That's still a
problematic issue in my state, but i'm chipping away at it. With all
the video being tossed around these days, i have to think even
regular ISP's are thinking multicast thoughts... no?

I notice this camera has, like you say, many outputs available to it.

Looking forward to the Retreat - i've been encouraging attendance
from those projects and group in my state, the Access Grid is
becoming more "visible" and discussed as a way to enable and do
collaboration but lately the ability to do HD at the same time is
foremost in everyone's request. For me, besides the cost, it's the
ability to just "make it work" and the realization that I'm now using
projectors that are 4-5 years old and folks don't seem to understand
that resolution and screen "space" are two different things. The
ability to scale video to any size (and save/store those settings as
well - etc) would be ideal.... i've always pointed out how flexible
the AG ultimately is because it is a toolkit.

-John Q.

--
John I. Quebedeaux, Jr.; Louisiana State University
Computer Manager LBRN; 131 Life Sciences Bldg.