[AG-TECH] Webcams for Linux

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 20:04:22 CDT 2007

Good afternoon all. I'd like to hear from the AG community what
webcams they are using for Personal nodes on the Linux platform. A few
years ago we ordered a whole box of Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 webcams
and have distributed them on campus. Now we are running out and
unfortunately, I can not find a vendor that sells these anymore.

For testing I ordered a Logitech Quickcam Express USB and could never
get it to work under Linux. Now I'm on the search for something else
to replace our Pro 4000s and I would hate to order webcam after webcam
to find something that works.

I've looked at the 5000 Pro and it says it works with the new USB
Video Class driver with v4l2, however I do not know if VIC supports
v4l2 devices just yet.

Are there any recommendations from the AG community?

--
Jeremy Mann
Bioinformatics Core Facility