[AG-TECH] Fading AG usage?

John I Quebedeaux Jr johnq at lsu.edu
Thu Jan 4 15:30:34 CST 2007

Derek,

In the state of louisiana the movement to have and use AG nodes has
been on the uptick and is one of the existing applications to use the
new network infrastructure going into place here. Everytime one is
seen in action - (even with the rough edges involved sometimes) folks
are impressed. For our grant, we use them on a regular basis.
Although, education and support is something that is constantly on
going. On the other hand, the number of external sites hasn't really
grown too much and i'm still struggling to get some sites here to put
their regular seminar offerings on the AG - but when the seminars are
scheduled on short notice, etc. it's difficult for them to go through
the motions of "putting" them on the AG.

We had two courses utilizing AG and AGVCR in one Center here i'm
aware of last semester and this semester at least one, possibly two
again.

My largest problem has been getting a stable multicast infrastructure
to work with; however, our state network is currently in the midst of
a major upgrade - which includes getting training and implementing
multicast which I think is critical for the success of the AG as it
is now. Our use is on the upswing. I'm busier than ever talking to
people about it. I'd been meaning to write up something about this
for Tom. Oddly enough it's the chicken egg thing - i'm busy doing it
and finding time to write it takes... well, time away from doing. I
need to just get it done and document our use for all to see...

The largest hurdles for me are people want: 1) for me to tell them
exactly what to buy on the spot and where to get it (which is not
trivial because we have to bid out as a state agency for items over a
certain amount), 2) networking, networking, networking... did i say
networking? i.e. MULTICAST and 3) staffing/support. #3 is interesting
because sites need to recognize that there are computers, networking,
and software to support on this and they aren't sure they can or want
to do this in terms of people - despite the fact that i see they've
done so for regular A/V services. They want it to "just work", but
nothing is ever that simple, including other forms of
teleconferencing in my experience. But that's just my experience.

Anyhow, quick dirty reply - i'm about to write an answer to yet
another request for info within our state...

You know, we really should do Jason's certification process here. I
know Cindy has. It'd be another step in the right direction to making
administrations realize this is a serious use of these systems and
not just ad-hoc as some may think. I'm just as guilty for not taking
time to do so - and then as a site I could do my state, etc.

-John Q.

--
John I. Quebedeaux, Jr.; Louisiana State University
Computer Manager LBRN; 131 Life Sciences Bldg.