[AG-TECH] Listing Venue Server addresses

Derek Piper dcpiper at indiana.edu
Fri Feb 16 13:51:21 CST 2007

	This is good stuff to talk about.
	If you only have 2 addresses though, wouldn't it be better to divide
the 2 IPs between venues and keep the same IP within a venue since, like
you said, all traffic goes to clients regardless of port?

i.e.
Scenario 1:

Venue 1
	Audio: 233.100.100.1 / 20000
	Video: 233.100.100.1 / 20002

Venue 2
	Audio: 233.100.100.2 / 30000
	Video: 233.100.100.2 / 30002

Venue 3
	Audio: 233.100.100.1 / 40000
	Video: 233.100.100.1 / 40002

Venue 4
	Audio: 233.100.100.2 / 50000
	Video: 233.100.100.2 / 50002

is better than
(Scenario 2)

Venue 1
	Audio: 233.100.100.1 / 20000
	Video: 233.100.100.2 / 20002

Venue 2
	Audio: 233.100.100.1 / 30000
	Video: 233.100.100.2 / 30002

Venue 3
	Audio: 233.100.100.1 / 40000
	Video: 233.100.100.2 / 40002

Venue 4
	Audio: 233.100.100.1 / 50000
	Video: 233.100.100.2 / 50002

since clients connected to Venue 1 would ALSO receive data from all the
other venues, even if it was filtered by port?

	So, if you have limited addresses then dividing them wholely between
venues (i.e. NOT doing what you mentioned, Chris) would be the smarter
configuration because if you have 2 meetings running simultaneously then
you can support 2 separations, i.e. Venue 1 & 3, and Venue 2 & 4 with
Scenario 1. With Scenario 2 because we spread our addresses over ALL the
venues trying to have a different IP for audio and video if we have 2
meetings at once we're always going to be sending data to ALL
participants over both meetings and using more bandwidth.
	Of course, if you have the addresses then it's smarter not to have any
overlap, I agree. But, for static addressing when there may not be many
addresses available then it is probably wiser to organize things so that
simultaneous meetings are separated, not necessarily audio/video sources.

	Derek

--
Derek Piper - dcpiper at indiana.edu - (812) 856 0111
IRI 323, School of Informatics