[AG-TECH] Microphone recommendations

John I Quebedeaux Jr johnq at lsu.edu
Thu Feb 1 16:18:07 CST 2007

Jeremy,

My 2 cents from experience is that wireless mics are an extreme pain
to maintain due to battery consumption and also to control the
appropriate use and placement and audio... balance? If at all
possible, wire them for lower maint. particularly if they receive a
lot of use. Wireless is much more expensive as well, but they are
convenient (it would seem) until you begin dealing with batteries.
Also, if they're wireless and the mics are not in a fixed point then
you have audio issues to deal with with microphone placement-
including the famous picking up a wireless mic and holding it like a
"StarTrek" communicator... <shudder>. Perhaps it's just me, but i
like it if my users can NOT physically move the microphones that I've
so carefully balanced for the acoustics in the room they are in.

I feel your pain on the wires though and in particular the microphone
situation. Newer rooms here they don't want to have "fixed" mics on
the tables and the tables themselves aren't fixed either (i.e. can
change room config in a few minutes). I know that Jason Bell had
demonstrated at SC Global his success at incorporating ceiling
microphones into his room infrastructure. Perhaps some audio folks
can comment on microphone placement and installation a bit for new
installations.

-John Q.

--
John I. Quebedeaux, Jr.; Louisiana State University
Computer Manager LBRN; 131 Life Sciences Bldg.