[AG-TECH] WebServer and Bridge Registry Down?

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 18 13:56:17 CST 2007

There was a network outage at the university, preventing the registry
bootstrap (peers.txt) file from being retrieved.

For 3.0.2 clients, this meant no bridge list whatsoever, as the bridge
list is built every time the client starts up.

For 3.1 clients, this only meant slow startup.  The 3.1 client caches
the bridge list, so uses the cached list when the registry can't be
contacted.  (Improvement!)

We'll need to add code to impose a reasonable timeout on the registry
access, to fix the slow startup problem for the future.  Longer term
plans include replacing the central registry with peer-to-peer
infrastructure, to remove the single point of failure, but that's some
way off.

Tom