[AG-TECH] AG 3.0 and MS Vista - Receive Pythonw.exe error

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Sun Apr 22 21:21:00 CDT 2007

Hi Dan,

Douglas Kosovic wrote:
> Dan Copher wrote:
>> But the issue we've run into is that the demo is also suppose to feature
>> MS Vista and the AG 3.0 Video conference software and although AG 3.0
>> installs fine we're getting a pythonw.exe error when trying to enter a
>> venue - "pythonw.exe has stopped working - A problem caused the program
>> to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you
>> if a solution is available". So far Windows has not notified notified us
>> of any solution =-O ... but hopefully someone
>> else among the AG community might ... anyone found a solution for this
>> problem yet ?
>
> The pre-built AG3.0.2 packages require Python 2.3, but only Python 2.5
> and Python 2.4.3.12 (or later) work correctly with Windows Vista, see
> ActivePython FAQ:
>
> http://support.activestate.com/faq/what-is-the-best-version

It'll probably be a while before there is an AGTk version that works okay
with Vista, as RAT would also need to be modified to be compatible with
Vista. Under Vista, soundcards are now divided into separate recording and
playback devices, so RAT doesn't list any audio devices as RAT requires the
audio devices to have both input and output.

The RealTek HD audio driver on WinXP has a similar issue, the soundcard
driver has separate input and output mixer devices.

Cheers,
Doug