[AG-TECH] onboard audio

Joseph Stone stone004 at umn.edu
Wed Apr 11 16:26:22 CDT 2007

In what appears to be a clever marketing trick, system and soundcard
manufacturers have used the moniker "HD" and attached the words High
Definition to the letters.

It really stands for Half Duplex.  Since rat expects a chip set that can
simultaneously send out signals while receiving them, these new devices do
not get recognized. The HD devices appear to do some sort of fast switching
so that the user hears and speaks apparently at the same time.

I'll leave it to UCL folks to correct/add to what I've just said.

Joe

Joseph Stone
Senior Informatics Manager
Family Medicine Community Health, Medical School, Univ. of Minnesota
Suite 220 Dinnaken
925 Delaware St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414

(612) 624-3192