[AG-TECH] Re-send of mangled message- OpenVPN and AG

Joseph Stone stone004 at umn.edu
Mon Oct 30 14:32:19 CST 2006

Spooky.    I was just pouring over the same problem myself for the
last couple of hours.  My search for a solution of getting through
firewalls leads me to consider OpenVPN as the best solution.

But before I launch it, I would like to ensure that traffic going
through it is used only for supporting AG sessions.  I'd be willing
to provide some benchmarks when using this but am looking for help to
ensure that I don't open all of the institutions resources to AG
participants that aren't part of it.

Joe

On Oct 30, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Doug Baggett wrote:

> Sorry bout this....somehow I forgot some essential words... :)
>
> Has anybody tried using Access Grid using bridged Ethernet and
> OpenVPN?
> (www.openvpn.net)
>
> OpenVPN supports TCP instead of UDP, and I have users behind
> Firewalls that
> restrict outbound UDP and I have a server that I could use as the
> endpoint
> that sits outside the firewall.
>
> I know there would be a performance hit using TCP, but on a high
> performance
> network it would be interesting to know if anybody has given it a try.
>
> -Doug B
> OCI/NSF

Joseph Stone
Senior Informatics Manager
Family Medicine Community Health, Medical School, Univ. of Minnesota
Suite 220 Dinnaken
925 Delaware St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414

(612) 624-3192