[AG-TECH] TCP to UDP bridges.....

Joseph Stone stone004 at umn.edu
Fri Nov 3 04:47:07 CST 2006

Where does AGConnector fit into (compare to) this?  I've seen this
work for a number of sites, but not all.
http://ace.netmedia.gist.ac.kr/AG_Connector/

Joe

On Nov 3, 2006, at 3:26 AM, Andrew A Rowley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In general, bridges use UDP as the AG traffic uses UDP.  The AG
> toolkit uses vic and rat, which only communicate using UDP.  I have
> a couple of solutions that help with this:
>
> StaticBridge uses the same set of port numbers (4 for AG audio and
> video e.g. 2 per channel), regardless of the venue or the number of
> users.  This means that users need to open less UDP ports in
> general in their firewall.  This appears to work fine, although we
> have not had heavy usage yet, and we can't yet use this with the
> AG3 server due to differences in the way the Static and Quick
> bridges work (I have submitted updates but have no idea of the
> status of these, and if they will be in the next release).
>
> I have also been working on a TCP-based bridge.  This appears to
> work OK just now, but I haven't really had any time to test it
> properly yet.  If you are interested, I could see about packaging
> something up for you to try out.  This also doesn't work with AG2/3
> yet, although this will probably work in a completely different way
> to both the Static and Quick bridges again, and will probably
> require an AG Toolkit service to make it work (which I have again
> not had time to get going).
>
> Andrew :)

Joseph Stone
Senior Informatics Manager
Family Medicine Community Health, Medical School, Univ. of Minnesota
Suite 220 Dinnaken
925 Delaware St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414

(612) 624-3192