[AG-TECH] RAT with Soundblaster Audigy problem

Christoph Willing willing at itee.uq.edu.au
Thu Mar 9 17:32:42 CST 2006

On 10/03/2006, at 5:55 AM, Derek Piper wrote:

> 	Hi,
>
> 	I've been trying to solve the problem of our Linux A/V machine
> having crackly,poppy sound. Turning gain to almost nothing helps
> alleviate it, but it's still there when I play back a recording my
> sound or meetings via AGVCR. Everyone elses sound is fine (i.e.
> from the townhall), so it's not AGVCR. It's a 3Ghz P4, 1GB RAM,
> running kernel 2.6.15.6 and a Soundblaster Live! card. It's running
> Debian Sarge with ALSA installed and the appropriate driver in the
> kernel (EMU10k). ALSA OSS API support is also enabled too.
> 	I thought I would try using a different soundcard, a Soundblaster
> Audigy to see if that made any difference, but then I was unable to
> start RAT - it failed with a 'elem->type == SND_MIXER_ELEM_SIMPLE'
> failed'' message. I wondered if my RAT was old and didn't support
> ALSA or something, so I compiled the CVS version. Now I get the
> following when I start RAT (it doesn't die, just keeps printing the
> message with no UI)
>
> audio_read: Resource temporarily unavailable

Derek,

I see this regularly (every few seconds) on one of our desktop nodes,
but it doesn't seem to adversely affect the audio. I was using that
node at the Town Hall meeting yesterday. I gather my audio was a bit
high at first, but apart from that it is an example of audio working
well despite that error message.

On the other hand, my sound card uses a different chip and I'm using
ANL rat, so maybe the underlying error being flagged is somehow
different despite producing the same error message.

chris

> 	Googling for this it appears that someone posted about this
> problem a long time ago (2001) and never did a final resolution, or
> if they did they never posted it.
>
> 	Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? I'm thinking that
> an SB Audigy under Linux for AG is probably fairly common so it's
> probably something simply and silly. I'm curious if anyone else has
> run into this problem? Couple of output of some possibly pertinent /
> proc files added below.
>
> 	Thanks,
>
> 	Derek
>

> [root at iri-av /root]# cat /proc/asound/pcm
> 00-00: emu10k1 : ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback : playback 32 :
> capture 1
> 00-01: emu10k1 mic : Mic Capture : capture 1
> 00-02: emu10k1 efx : Multichannel Capture/PT Playback : playback
> 8 : capture 1
> 00-03: emu10k1 : Multichannel Playback : playback 1
> 00-04: p16v : p16v : playback 1 : capture 1
>

> [root at iri-av /root]# cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat
> Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.10rc3 emulation code)
> Kernel: Linux iri-av 2.6.15.6 #1 PREEMPT Thu Mar 9 14:44:07 EST
> 2006 i686
> Config options: 0
>
> Installed drivers:
> Type 10: ALSA emulation
>
> Card config:
> Audigy 2 [Unknown] (rev.4, serial:0x10031102) at 0xdf00, irq 20
>
> Audio devices:
> 0: ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback (DUPLEX)
>
> Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
>
> Midi devices:
> 0: Audigy MPU-401 (UART)
>
> Timers:
> 7: system timer
>
> Mixers:
> 0: SigmaTel STAC9721,23
>

> --
> Derek Piper - dcpiper at indiana.edu - (812) 856 0111
> IRI 323, School of Informatics
> Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana

Christoph Willing                           +61 7 3365 8350
QPSF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland