[AG-TECH] AG3 Modification: SQL Database Back-End

Ashnil Kumar akum5948 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Thu Mar 2 22:02:54 CST 2006

Hi all

Over the past few weeks we have been working on an AccessGrid 3 Beta 1
modification that uses a SQL database back-end to read VenueServer
configuration information (currently what is being read from
VenueServer.cfg and VenueServer.dat). We've tested this on an AG3 build
on an XServe and have successfully managed to run a VenueServer, and
applied various changes to the server and its venues using the
VenueManagement tool. Testing with shared apps still has to be done. It
has also been run with AG3 Beta 2.

There is still some reliance on files for the various authorization
policies and the data for applications.

In order to work, the bagserver modification requires:
* a working AG3 beta build
*  PostGreSQL
* PyGreSQL (http://www.pygresql.org)

The modification archive is available on the following page. To update
your AG3 installation, ensure the AGTK_LOCATION is set, unarchive the
tar and follow the instructions found in the README-TAR file. The
development is not complete but is stable enough for a small release at
this point in time.

http://projects.vislab.usyd.edu.au/bagserver/

The project wiki can be found at the following link:
http://wiki.vislab.usyd.edu.au/moinwiki/BAGServer

SQL files to generate the database, as well as some sample data for
such a database is included in the archive.

Please feel free to use and test the SQL back-end modifications, and to
make/suggest any improvements to it.

Hopefully, we will be able to continue with developments for Bagserver
as described in the READMEs and on the wiki with future student
projects here at Vislab, USyd.

Regards,
Ashnil