[AG-TECH] Re: LANL seminar series - Ad-Hoc/Sensor Networks - CANCELLED

Cindy Sievers sievers at lanl.gov
Mon Jun 26 10:14:04 CDT 2006

This talk will be rescheduled. The speaker could not arrive in Los Alamos
due to bad weather conditions yesterday. Another announcement will be sent
out soon. Thanks.

>>*** LANL Seminar Series
>>***  http://public.ds.lanl.gov/ccs1-seminar
>>
>>TITLE:
>>DRAND: Distributed Randomized TDMA Scheduling For Wireless Ad-hoc Networks
>>
>>SPEAKER: Prof. Injong Rhee. North Carolina State University, CS Dept.
>>          http://www.csc.ncsu.edu/faculty/rhee/
>>
>>WHEN: Monday, June 26th, 10:00-11:00am Mountain Standard Time
>>
>>ABSTRACT:
>>Rhee presents a distributed implementation of RAND, a randomized time slot
>>scheduling algorithm, called DRAND. DRAND runs in O(d) time and message
>>complexity where d is the size of a two-hop neighborhood in a wireless
>>network while message complexity remains O(d), assuming that message
>>delays can be bounded by an unknown constant. DRAND is the first fully
>>distributed version of RAND. The algorithm is suitable for a wireless
>>network where most nodes do not move, such as wireless mesh networks and
>>wireless sensor networks. We implement the algorithm in TinyOS and
>>demonstrate its performance in a real test bed of Mica2 nodes. The
>>algorithm does not require any time synchronization and is shown to be
>>effective in adapting to local topology changes without incurring global
>>overhead in the scheduling. Because of these features, it can also be used
>>even for other scheduling problems such as frequency or code scheduling
>>(for FDMA or CDMA) or local identifier assignment for wireless networks
>>where time synchronization is not enforced.
>>
>>BIO:
>>Injong Rhee received his Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at
>>Chapel Hill. He is an associate professor of Computer Science at North
>>Carolina State University. In year 2000, he founded Togabi Technologies,
>>INC, a company that develops and markets mobile wireless multimedia
>>applications for next generation wireless networks and he was CTO and CEO
>>of the company until year 2002. His research interests are computer
>>networks, congestion control, wireless networks, multimedia networking,
>>distributed systems, and operation systems. He is an inventor of several
>>congestion control protocols including TEAR, BIC-TCP and CUBIC. In
>>particular, BIC-TCP has received a lot of media attention throughout the
>>world and is currently the default TCP algorithm used in Linux 2.6 and up.
>>He received NSF Early Faculty Career Development Award in 1999 and New
>>Inventor's award from NCSU.
>

>Meeting details can be found at:
>http://agschedule.ncsa.uiuc.edu/meetingdetails.asp?MID=15958
>Venue: Hydrogen (on the NCSA venue server)
>
>All remote sites are welcome.  Please RSVP to sievers at lanl.gov if your
>site is planning on attending.  Please arrive in the venue at least 1/2
>hour early for testing.  We will be using VNC for the presentation.

Cindy Sievers           Los Alamos National Laboratory
sievers at lanl.gov        Group CCS-1 MS B287
tel:505.665.6602        Advanced Computing
fax:505.665.4939        Los Alamos, NM 87544