[AG-TECH] Improving video quality

John I Quebedeaux Jr johnq at lsu.edu
Tue Jul 11 09:41:04 CDT 2006

Jason,

Something to point out - that this is not a real time change if you
make it via the node manager; it's just a parameter setting that will
get "read" the next time the service manager reads it to pass to the
VIC. So, if you make it here - stop the video and restart it so that
the VIC's will reload with the new settings.

I guess those who know VIC are old hat at this - for those who aren't:

A quick way of testing this: for temporary/testing purposes before
you go change your configuration in the node manager- If you want to
see the results in real time and to test what setting is optimal go
directly to the VIC that is sending/transmitting, choose "MENU" and
you can find the sliders there for "Rate Control" which is a setting
to limit the rate that the vic will transmit at (useful for those
with limited bandwidth) and the frames per second (defaults to 24)
and then the quality setting further down. Like Jason said, setting
this too "low" (lower number is better) it will seem worse - check
the rate again. Keep a close eye on the bandwidth used when you have
lots of motion. I actually use this to "stress" test when setting up
a connection. It's fairly easy with just one or two VICs and lots of
waving (jumping jacks anyone?)  in front of the camera to push
between 3MB and 6MB (note, the rate limiting is different on Windows
than it is on Linux) per camera.

So, keep in mind changing the quality setting will change the
bandwidth utilized - if you have the bandwidth and the system can
handle it - you may have to raise the "rate" as well so it won't get
"limited". You might try to see just how low you can set things as
well for those sites who are bandwidth challenged. I discovered that
i don't really like going lower than 12fps no matter what the quality
setting was and that I really didn't like changing the quality to
anything higher than 10. In some cases, like when we put a camera on
a screen - i'll lower the FPS to 5 or 10 but change the quality
setting to 2 - thus getting a very nice look at the screen (well,
mostly) but not pushing the bandwidth up too high when the slides
changed.

Finally, i usually like to set my defaults to quality "5" as its
better - but not so much so that it makes a large hit on bandwidth.
On the other hand, i have the bandwidth, some of my sites we work
with don't.... but they will very very soon!

my 25cents..

-John
--
John I. Quebedeaux, Jr.; Louisiana State University
Computer Manager LBRN; 131 Life Sciences Bldg.