[AG-TECH] Access Grid 3.0 beta1 available !

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Tue Jan 31 08:09:34 CST 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 01:49:50PM +0000, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Frank Sweetser wrote:
>
> >As an employed network nazi myself, I think I can answer that =)
>
> ;)  No offence to network nazis intended (I'm sometimes accused of being one
> myself).

None taken =)

> Realistically, how many attacks come over UDP?

Quite a few.  It may be a smaller percentage than TCP, but there's enough
SMB attacks, DNS poisoning, etc that you certainly can't ignore it.  Just look
at all of the (thankfully short-lived) fun that SQL slammer caused with a
single UDP packet payload.

This is probably drifting a little off topic, but if anyone is interested
in really seeing what's going on Out There on the Internet at large,
http://www.dshield.org/ and http://isc.sans.org/ provide great statistics
and summaries from around the world.

> I agree, although sometimes it can be hard to put any case together that will
> get results.  We've had problems with collaborators (we thankfully have very
> flexible policies here) because they'd have endless firewall problems.

Yup - it's always harder dealing with the remote sites, isn't it?  As Julie
mentioned, we had no end of problems dealing with at least one remote site,
because we were never really able to open a good channel of communication with
their infrastructure admins.

Heck, it may be worth if for someone who's had good luck to throw together
a whitepaper - "Top 10 Most Effective Arguments for Bribing or Convincing
Network Nazis to Help Make AG Go" ;)

WPI Network Engineer          |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken