[AG-TECH] AccessGrid on PDA devices

R. P. Channing ["Rick"] Rodgers rodgers at nlm.nih.gov
Thu Feb 23 10:42:43 CST 2006

Fabrizio,

Motorola Labs (http://internet2.motlabs.com/ipaq/index.htm)
and our group at NLM (http://etg/project/index.html, see ASKLEPiOS)
have both experimented with using vic and rat on handhelds, but using
the familiar Linux kernel (http://www.handhelds.org), not PocketPC
To the best of our knowledge, no one has yet developed an AG
client for this platform, though it is very much on our minds (but, as
Derek rightly remarks, poses daunting GUI design challenges).

I don't know about Motorola, but in our work several years back, the audio
latency with using rat via 802.11 wireless was crippling.  We are hoping our
latest efforts on new iron will improve that.  We have a huge to-do list
of project ideas related to this work -- if you are capable, serious, willing
to stick to open source based solution, and have time on your hands,
get in touch.  :)

Cheers, Rick Rodgers

> Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:29:26 -0500
> From: Derek Piper <dcpiper at indiana.edu>
> To: Fabrizio.Berdondini at prototipo.it
> Subject: Re: [AG-TECH] AccessGrid on PDA device
>
> 	Heh, that sounds fun. I can picture the NCSA lobby in little teeny tiny
> 1/2" windows ... :D
> 	VIC is just the video component, you'd need something to take the job
> of RAT and then you have audio too. From that you could join in with a
> manual hookup, since you would need the VenueClient software and
> associated dependencies in order to browse venues. I'm thinking all that
> would probably slaughter the poor little PDA but it sounds like it's
> worth a laugh.
> 	For manual hookup, get the ports from the 'Properties' entry of the
> 'Venue' menu of a VenueClient. You might want to also go to a venue with
> a bridge (or run one yourself against your venue server) to remove
> multicast from being a problem over the wireless.
>
> 	Derek
>
> Fabrizio.Berdondini at prototipo.it wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > "just" a question... I'd like to try to connect a PDA device (Intel
> > Bulverde 520 Mhz, Windows Mobile 2003 SE) to the AccessGrid
> > infrastructure. I found over the internet some docs citing the use of
> > VPP (Vic for Pocket PC) for some kind of interface between AG and a PPC.
> > Is VPP the only app I have to install to connect my PPC to an AG
> > session? How should I install/configure it to receive audio/video
> > streams from a venueserver installed inside my LAN?
> > Thanx,
> > Faber B.
>
> --
> Derek Piper - dcpiper at indiana.edu - (812) 856 0111
> IRI 323, School of Informatics
> Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana

R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D. * rodgers at nlm.nih.gov * (301)435-3267 (voice, fax)
OHPCC, LHNCBC, U.S. National Library of Medicine, NIH
Bldg 38, Rm. B1N-30F2, 8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda MD 20894 USA
http://lhc.nlm.nih.gov/staff/rodgers/rodgers.html