[AG-TECH] thanks to myk and NCSA folks

Michael Miller mimiller at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 16 11:23:27 CST 2006

Darin,

Thanks to you and others, it's nice to know the community appreciates
our services.  Everyone should be aware that the nature of multicast
problems demand that they be investigated while the problem exists.
Once everyone signs off from a meeting, the state for that multicast
session is destroyed.  So as problems with the bridge or other multicast
issues arise, it is vital to gather as much information as possible and
contact the appropriate network administrators immediately.  Please
check with your local administrators about their policy for handling
emergencies, especially if you are involved in an off-hours meeting in
your area.

As always, please let me know if you have further questions about the
NCSA AG servers.

Michael

Darin Oman wrote:
> I'll second that! Many of us take the NCSA resources for granted. They
> don' t HAVE to do what they do. Thank you!
>
> By the way, um, there still seemed to be problems on Tuesday.
> Multicast people couldn't receive video from bridged people.
>
> Darin
>

> On Feb 16, 2006, at 8:54 AM, Cindy Sievers wrote:
>
>> I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Mike Miller and the
>> network folks at NCSA for all of their efforts in identifying and
>> solving the problems with the unicast bridge they run against their
>> public venues.  The public venue server and associated bridges that
>> NCSA provides to the Access Grid community are invaluable for many of
>> the large and small events that occur. For many participants who work
>> in extremely restrictive environments behind firewalls, we have come
>> to depend on the public servers. I know that from at least my
>> perspective, we would have been unable to participate in many of the
>> highly visible and important events that have taken place over the
>> past few years if it were not for the services provided by NCSA.
>> Taking the time to track down and fix network issues is frustrating,
>> but we all realize how important this task is.  So a huge thanks goes
>> out to the folks at NCSA for putting forth the effort and making such
>> a tremendous contribution to the Access Grid community!

>> Cindy Sievers           Los Alamos National Laboratory
>> sievers at lanl.gov        Group CCS-1 MS B287
>> tel:505.665.6602        Advanced Computing
>> fax:505.665.4939        Los Alamos, NM 87544

Thanx,

Michael Miller
System Engineer
Video Technology Services
Persistent Infrastructure Directorate
University of Illinois - UC
217-649-0747

"If you're clear in your vision and trust the people in your team with clear objectives, they will invariably do their best to achieve everything desired, and usually deliver everything you could have hoped for and even more." -Paul Debevec