[AG-TECH] Creating an AG Room Node using a Mac Backbone?

Christoph Willing willing at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Feb 15 20:23:57 CST 2006

On 16/02/2006, at 9:19 AM, Jason Bell wrote:

[snip]

> So things to consider that
> I hope others might be able to comment on are whether:
>
> *	the Mac has driver support for multiple capture cards;
>
> *	the Mac can support multiple screen/projector display.  (I am
> pretty sure it can, it's just I have never done it nor can I recommend
> what video cards to use)
>
> Other than the above two points, I cannot see why someone cannot
> build a
> Room base node using Mac's.  I would be interested to hear if you are
> able to do it.

Please look at:
	http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/research/accessgrid/apac05a.html

which shows pictures of our fully featured Mac AG node being
demonstrated at the APAC05 conference (Sept., 2005, Gold Coast,
Australia).  "fully featured" means 4 capture streams and 4 display
outputs (at the conference we used 4xLCD's rather than projectors).

So, it is definitely possible. However the performance is somewhat
sluggish compared with our all-Linux nodes and hasn't been installed
in a "proper" room for ongoing use.

Credits: the development work was carried out with the support of an
AUDF (Apple University Development Fund) grant. Most of the software
level work (recognising multiple video inputs etc) was done here by
Doug Kosovich and has been incorporated into the current AG
development tree i.e. it will be part of AG3

chris

Christoph Willing                           +61 7 3365 8350
QPSF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland