[AG-TECH] Packet Loss

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 28 21:09:11 CDT 2006

Just one more email and I'll shut up :-)

At 11:13 AM 29/08/2006 +1000, Chris Kendrick wrote:
>> Are your audio and video process running on the same machine?
>
>Yes, at the moment I have my audio service running on my display
>machine, apparently audio doesn't use up much system resources.

That's not the actual point of separating them - it's keeping the video processing away from interfering with the audio that's important. With video you get a lot of packets, interrupts and cpu load. Audio doesn't like all that, and ultimately it's the most important media type in a session (you can cope with lossy video, but not with lossy audio). It's ok for small-enough group meetings, but gets messy in large sessions. Ideally you also want a more error-resilient audio codec, but that's another conversation... (and separation also complicates the UI processes a bit too <sigh>)

>> On the thumbnail view, pick a site and click on 'info' -

I missed the bit about then clicking on 'rtp stats' but you seem to have spotted that :-)

Cheers,
        Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures             |Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au                        |Fx: +61 2 61259805
The Australian National University, Canberra 0200 |Mob: 0417 281429