[AG-TECH] Packet Loss

Chris Kendrick kendrick at vpac.org
Wed Aug 23 19:53:18 CDT 2006

Hi All

I was running an AG session between, VPAC (Melbourne, Victoria,
Australia) and The University of Bristol in the UK Yesterday.

For some reason I was getting ~5sec patches of huge packet loss (as
shown in the RAT reception quality matrix) roughly every 3 minutes from
them (voice went extremely choppy), but they were always receiving good
audio from me.

I was running AG2.4 compat they were running inSors. and we had met in
the University of Bristol VV

I also Started a desktop AG2.4 compat at VPAC and joined the session, I
received packet loss from Bristol and from the original VPAC node, (due
to the VPAC nodes both connecting to the Bristol unicast bridge, the
traffic from the other VPAC node was obviously traveling to Bristol and
Back and getting packet loss on the return trip)

also we tried switching the Bristol inSors node between unicast and
multicast, and we also tried going to the University of Leeds VV and
having the Bristol node switch between unicast and multicast again.
Still got exactly the same packet loss pattern only coming from Bristol

My question is what tools tecniques can I use to further diagnose what
is going wrong if it happens next time?

Any advice gratefully received.

Chris Kendrick
VPAC