[AG-TECH] Conference XP vs AG

Derek Piper dcpiper at indiana.edu
Thu Sep 1 08:49:55 CDT 2005

	Hi Patrick,

	Thanks for the hint about the identity override, I'll try that out.
	What you mention about tying the machines together isn't actually
correct, sorry. I'm not trying to be nit-picky. The multiple machine
aspect is for tying the SERVICES of different computers to just ONE
client. You only want one client for navigation, i.e. getting to the
venue, otherwise you'd have to manually connect them one at a time and
that sounds like it'd be annoying more than anything. No, the
distributed services idea is so that I can have a machine with a hoard
of capture cards controlling encoding my video streams, another machine
(i.e. in a different part of the room possibly) that controls the
microphones and speakers) and yet another machine that controls the
multiple-screen/projector display. You can consolidate things down to
just one machine handling it all or split apart capture and display for
audio and video across any number of machines. All tie to just ONE
client (which can be another machine too, i.e. a presenter's laptop)
that handles shared applications etc. By sharing out the
'responsibilities' it makes nodes much easier to put together, shares
load and eases congestion on fixed resources like number of PCI slots etc.
	So it's not about representation really, it's about being able to
utilize the capabilities of more than one computer to form your 'node'.
An AccessGrid 'Personal Node' where all services are controlled by one
computer is analogous to the ConferenceXP method.

	Derek

--
Derek Piper - dcpiper at indiana.edu - (812) 856 0111
IRI 323, School of Informatics