[AG-TECH] I2 Multicast Problems?

David Mitchell mitchell at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 27 17:08:28 CDT 2005

Greetings,

I was wondering if other folks are seeing any multicast problems? I've
been pulling my hair out this afternoon trying to debug intermittent
connectivity for our AG node at NCAR. It cycles up and down on a regular
basis. We receive fine for two minutes, stop for three, etc. etc. The
cycle repeats over and over. What's really weird is that our ability to
receive traffic cycles in sync with changes in the OIL for the traffic
we are sending. I would write all of this off as some strange timer
issue inside of our network, but I took a look at the core route proxy
for Abilene's DNVRng. Our AG node is currently in the NCSA Lobby venue,
which usually has a fair number of steady transmitters in it. But a
'show multicast route group 224.2.237.104 extensive' show almost all
sources as having a 0pps traffic rate. Which seems a little odd. Is
anybody else experiencing problems? I'd like to be able to rule out any
known larger issues before I did any deeper into our LAN. Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

-David Mitchell

| David Mitchell (mitchell at ucar.edu)       Network Engineer IV  |
| Tel: (303) 497-1845                      National Center for  |
| FAX: (303) 497-1818                      Atmospheric Research |