[AG-TECH] AG 2.4 source

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 11 08:31:01 CDT 2005

On 10/10/05 6:32 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
>>The 2.4 branch is cunningly disguised as r_2_3_final.
>

> Cool, thanks.

We will be fixing that soon, leaving the r_2_3_final tag around since people
currently rely on it.

>>A fresh source tree is pulled in by packaging/BuildSnapshot.py, which
>>now has a -t (--tag) option to specify the desired CVS tag. After
>>that, insert a packaging/linux/debian directory  and run packaging/
>>BuildSnapshot.py with the --no-checkout option to build from your new
>>tree. When the packaging/linux/debian/* files are complete (i.e.
>>correctly build the package),  they could go into CVS. Using the
>>BuildSnapshot.py mechanism takes a bit of work to set up (adapt
>>fedora, gentoo or slackware directories), but really saves time in
>>the long run; as changes are made to CVS, new snapshots and point
>>releases become trivial (sort of, mostly, sometimes,...).
>

> That's how the debian packaging currently works, although it still needs
> some tweaking before being ported into CVS.  However I prefer to pull
> the source first as I need to patch the tree (including the build
> scripts) to work well with Debian/Ubuntu.

With the current structure of the build scripts, the patching could be done
  in packaging/linux/debian/BuildPackage.py.  I'd be happy to see the
debian packaging support in cvs, even if it's incomplete, because it
would make it much easier for the community to build packages if
necessary.  If the scripts need a few iterations to become complete,
I think doing so in CVS is appropriate.

Steve:  If you need CVS access, we can begin the process.  Let me know.

Tom