[AG-TECH] Sound card problems

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Thu Nov 3 16:53:39 CST 2005

G'day All

I thought I would write an email detailing problems I recently came
across using a Sound Blaster Live Sound Card and Fedora Core 4.

Yesterday, I did a complete upgrade of my Access Grid operating system
from FC3 and AG2.3 to Fedora Core 4 and AG 2.4.  Everything went quite
well, except for the fact that I couldn't get any audio to transit from
my end.  I played with various alsamixer and kmix settings, even turned
everything to max at one stage and was still unable to transmit audio.
This could be verified by seeing no meter levels moving within the talk
section of rat.

To cut a long story short, I tried various settings and I have been
using the same hardware in previous installs (RedHat 7.3, 9.0, FC1, FC2
and FC3) without any problems, but it seems that FC4 doesn't appear to
work that well with the Sound Blaster Live cards.  Receiving Audio
worked perfectly.

I ripped out the SB Live card and actually just used the onboard sound
and it worked fine.  (The reason for using the SB Live card in the first
place was that many eons ago, the standard cards didn't support Full
Duplex sound on the older operating systems.)

Therefore, if you are using FC4 and you are having similar problems, I
would suggest trying a different sound card.

Hope this helps soome of you out there.

Best regards,
Jason.

Jason Bell, B.I.T.
B. Info. Tech. (Honours) Student

Network Engineer
Information Technology Division
Central Queensland University

High Performance Computing Support Officer
Central Queensland University

Research Assistant to the Nonlinear
Intelligent Systems Research Group
Faculty of Informatics & Communication