[AG-TECH] EPCC Access Grid node

Christoph Willing willing at itee.uq.edu.au
Tue May 31 17:36:52 CDT 2005

On 01/06/2005, at 5:37 AM, Marcus Christie wrote:

> I'm afraid this is probably a very stupid question, but I can't find
> the EPCC (University of Edinburgh) AG venue.  I was told I could find
> it under "Institutional Venues", which I think used to be available in
> the ANL Venue Server, but now I can't find any such thing.  I've tried
> https://ivs.mcs.anl.gov:9000/Venues/default and looked everywhere, and
> tried https://vv2.mcs.anl.gov:9000/Venues/default but couldn't
> connect.  Many thanks in advanced from someone who _still_ feels like
> an AG newbie.

This is an almost exact same use case given in a talk at the San
Francisco retreat (searching for U East Anglia). The talk was about
making maps of venue servers and using the map information for
VenueClient navigation directly into rooms rather than having to wonder
how to navigate through a server to some arbitrary room. Slides are
available at:
	http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/fl/flevents/ag/agr05/talks/
agr05_willing_T_mapping.ppt

Slides aren't very informative after the event, so briefly: a small
modification to the VenueClient enables a new menu similar to the "My
Venues" menu. A user then runs a "ServerInfo" shared app to download up
to date room layout information about various venue servers. This
layout information is available via the new menu for room navigation.

In this case, I can go to my new menu - a list of venue servers - and
find AGSC (Access Grid Support Centre, which seems to be the main
server in UK), which cascades out to a list of all rooms on that
server. From this list, select "University of Edinburgh (EPCC)" and the
VenueClient goes directly to that room.

The short answer (from using the method above):
	https://george.ag.mcc.ac.uk:8000/Venues/
000000fe537e9bf200c0009600b8004606a

chris

Christoph Willing                        Ph: +61 7 3365 8350
QPSF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland