[AG-TECH] Cert Expired

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 26 10:10:40 CDT 2005

Derek:

Certificates requested from the AG Developers CA are signed manually.  Our goal is to
maintain a two-day turnaround; looking back at the signing history, we normally do much
better than that.  The process has not been automated because we have been trying to
provide some level of identity assurance, instead of just issuing certs blindly.

In most cases, people care more about using the software than being properly identified.
For this reason, the software includes support for requesting certificates from an
Anonymous CA.  These requests _are_ signed automatically, with the resulting certificate
available for import immediately.  If you need a certificate in a rush, this is the way to
go.

This question has come up enough times that I've added this detail to the FAQ page, which
I plan to have better maintained in the future.  If you have suggestions for other
information to add there, let me know.

Tom