[AG-TECH] Community Advisory Board

michael j daw michael.daw at manchester.ac.uk
Thu May 26 05:16:42 CDT 2005

Tom,

I agree that this is a good start and I applaud the sentiment behind it. Sure, I have niggles with the way it was done, but, in the end, there's a fine bunch of individuals on the CAB, and I'm sure they'll do the right thing. Defining its remit and modus operandi is probably a priority though so we know where we are and where we're going. If that can be done openly with reference to the wider community, then that's all to the good.

And, by the way, I think it's a sign of a healthy community that can have its debates out in the open. I believe quite strongly that closed ways of doing things ultimately lead to outcomes that are not so good as if they were done openly. The AG is a great concept, which is why it raises such passions (at least in me!).

Mike