[AG-TECH] AccessGrid 3: What information is available

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 24 10:39:26 CDT 2005

> In particular I think the following would be major leaps forward in
> usability:
>
>         * Being able to change the venue in Vic and Rat without
>         restarting them

I believe that this can reasonably be done in the context of the
existing vic and rat infrastructure (requiring internal mods to the
tools, of course, but it's doable given their architecture).

>         * Multiple video inputs to Vic (which would remove the
> necessity
>         of multi-machine nodes)

This is more difficult, but doesn't need to be done if the headless
capture work takes off.

Remember too that the original intention for multiple machines was to
ensure the media quality. Computers are hugely faster than when we
started this, but it's still quite possible to send the audio quality
way downhill on a machine that's also doing display of multiple video
streams. Sharing video capture with audio handling these days is
quite reasonable.

---bob