[AG-TECH] AG Community Portal prototype launched ...

Michael E. Papka papka at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 23 23:42:59 CDT 2005

Darran,

This is great.  As we have discussed the plan is to move the physical
home of accessgrid.org to the University to remove some of the
restrictions placed on access to the site that having it at ANL has
caused, this is currently in the works.

On that note, we would like to see volunteers fr congeasus om the
community take stewardship of different areas on the new and improved
community site to lift the burden off the "small overworked Argonne
team".   Mary Fritsch who has left the core AG group at Argonne to
move to a  new exciting position will still be overseeing the site,
but  hopefully now with help from the community.  The work you've
done on the prototype site looks like a good start; we'd like to have
you help spin up the community site at accessgrid.org. Please let us
know if you're interested (this is with the initial setup, it is
assumed the community will help once the site is in place). We are
currently evaluating the Mambo server (http://www.mamboserver.com/)
for the new site, this is based on recommendations from different
people, but if the community has a strong leaning towards another
system let us know.

The overall goal is not to fragment the community with multiple
sites, the www.accessgrid.org site has always intended to be a
community site, we have made a conscious effort to remove any ANL
slant.  We'd like the accessgrid.org site continue to serve as the
community site, and be developed by the community.

There are more efforts underway to increase community involvement,
look for announcements in the next month.

Please keep contributing!

Cheers
Mike