[AG-TECH] machine freezes on rat start up OSC

Paul Mercer mercer at arsc.edu
Mon May 9 19:23:58 CDT 2005

  All

After installing the Apple Security Update 2005-05 for 10.3.9, my
machine now freezes when rat starts.  An X11 window opens, as usual,
and then a short while later my machine freezes requiring a restart.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I also installed the following updates at the same time.
Java Update for 10.3.9
Quicktime 7.0
Remote Desktop Admin. 2.2
Security Update 2005-05

X11 fixes in update:

# libXpm
CVE ID: CAN-2004-0687 CERT: VU#882750
Available for:  Mac OS X v10.3.9, Mac OS X Server v10.3.9
Impact:  A vulnerability in the parsing of malformed XPM files could
allow arbitrary code execution
library contains a vulnerability in the parsing of malformed image
files that may lead to a stack overflow and could allow arbitrary
code execution.  Images downloaded via a web browser may use the XPM
format and allow remote exploitability.  libXpm is not installed by
default on Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server systems.  It is an optional
install item via the X11 package.  Credit to Chris Evans
<chris at scary.beasts.org> for reporting this issue.

# libXpm
CVE ID:  CAN-2004-0688 CERT:  VU#537878
Available for:  Mac OS X v10.3.9, Mac OS X Server v10.3.9
Impact:  A vulnerability in the parsing of malformed XPM files could
allow arbitrary code execution
vulnerabilities that may allow an attacker to cause a
denial-of-service condition or execute arbitrary code.  Images
downloaded via a web browser may use the XPM format and allow remote
exploitability.  libXpm is not installed by default on Mac OS X or
Mac OS X Server systems.  It is an optional install item via the X11
package.  Credit to Chris Evans <chris at scary.beasts.org> for
reporting this issue.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks