[AG-TECH] Echo Control?

Andrew Patrick Andrew.Patrick at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Mar 18 15:02:30 CST 2005

It is very difficult to control echo in this situation without using an echo
canceller. Here are some things to try:

- use RAT in push-to-talk mode, where you only transmit when your side is
speaking. Turning off the "talk" toggle on the upper right of the RAT interface
and then clicking the right mouse button inside the RAT frame works like a
button on a microphone of a walkie-talkie

- RAT does have an Echo Supression option in the Options->Audio settings. You
could give this a try

- if echo suddenly gets worse, you could try re-starting RAT at both ends

- try to physically separate your microphone and speakers to make them as far
apart as possible, and not facing each other

- if the group is small, considering getting a headphone duplicator box and have
everyone wear a set of headphones. They can still share the same microphone

- adjust your speaker loudness so it is the minimum possible but you can still
hear the other end. This will reduce the audio going into the microphone.

- remember, your setup determines the echo that the other side will hear, and
vice versa.

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist
E-mail: Andrew.Patrick at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
WWW - NRC:  http://iit-iti.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
WWW - Personal: http://www.andrewpatrick.ca
Phone: (613) 991-3374   Fax: (613) 952-7151  Cell/SMS: (613) 277-9211