[AG-TECH] Using the NCSA AG 2 Venues Server

Christoph Willing willing at itee.uq.edu.au
Tue Jun 21 17:29:17 CDT 2005

On 22/06/2005, at 1:35 AM, John Hodrien wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Michael Miller wrote:
>
>> Everyone,
>> When using the NCSA AG 2 Venues Server, please do not enter a venue
>> without first reserving it on AGSchedule.  This will avoid conflicts
>> with other meetings.  Even if you simply want to test something,
>> please make a meeting so that you don't inadvertently drop in on
>> another meeting.
>
> So what venues are considered fair game for popping into other than
> the Test
> Room?  I think we've got to start seriously looking at using
> encryption by
> default, to in some way ameliorate this problem.

Anyone entering an encrypted a venue via the VenueClient is
automagically given the encryption key. The only protection an
encrypted venue provides is against vic's & rat's which have been
started manually using the venue's multicast address but without
knowing the encryption key.

This means that "encryption by default" won't solve the particular
problem of VenueClients popping in on a meeting. To solve that will
require VenueServer ACL's to be connected to the booking system (to
limit venue access to legitimate meeting participants) _and_ a safe way
for legitimate participants to be added to the meeting.

chris

Christoph Willing                        Ph: +61 7 3365 8350
QPSF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland