[AG-TECH] Help needed - Gentoo - Spectra8 - Matrox QID etc

Dave Price dap at aber.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 11:45:03 CDT 2005

Dear All,

	I am tearing my hair out here (and I've not got
much!) trying to set up a new twin processor, 3.2GHz Xeon
equipped with a Matrox QID four head display adapter
and a Spectra8 video capture card as the basis
of a new AG node.

	We wanted to use Linux and so I picked Gentoo
for various reasons, including the note on AG site that it
was the Linux variant used by central AG team etc.
I've not yet installed AG software, I'm just trying
to get basic machine going first..

	Anyway, after much battling, I've sort of got
Matrox QID working, I've got sound working, but anytime
I start xawtv to try to test the spectra8 video capture card,
X falls over, but not really log much at all.

	Has anyone in the community set up a machine
using 2* Xeon + Matrox QID + Spectra8 + Gentoo
with 2.6 kernel?? and then installed AG sucessfully...

	All advice very greatfully received.
Thanks,
Dave Price