[AG-TECH] Re: [AG-L] VIC defaulting to X11 on Unicast - can't change to bttv video device..

Christoph Willing willing at itee.uq.edu.au
Mon Jun 20 22:56:56 CDT 2005

On 21/06/2005, at 1:44 PM, Steven Manos wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a 2 computer AG setup running linux + the 2.3 client
>
> I have an issue where if I set the AG client to use unicast, the VIC
> session on the video machine (with the bttv capture card) defaults to
> X11
> input. If I attempt to change this using the menu -> Device setting,
> the
> only option is X11, whereas when using multicast the 2 options were X11
> and bttv video.

After you see that happen, reenter the room (click on 'Go' button).

I've seen this problem a few times - I suspect that the previous
instance of vic (before change to unicast) hasn't entirely relinquished
ownership of the video device by the time that the new instance of vic
(after change to unicast) is looking for any available devices. It
doesn't find any and falls back to X11. By the time you click the Go
button, the video device(s) are available again.

chris

Christoph Willing                        Ph: +61 7 3365 8350
QPSF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland