[AG-TECH] Reserving a venue?

Martin Polak mpolak at gup.jku.at
Fri Jun 10 02:03:44 CDT 2005

Jason Pepas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This will be my first time using the Access Grid.
>
> It is my understanding that there is a central server (a venue) which
> all of the clients join in order to create a conference.
>
> Is it the case that people reserve room on an existing venue (like the
> Argonne Natl Laboratory Institution), or do they setup their own venue
> server?

Hi Jason,

A Venue is some sort of "Virtual Room" having some multicast adress/ports for
Audio and Video.
Everyone who connects his Venueclient to that room will see all of the nodes
doing so as well. Addtionally everyone in a virtual venue can share applications
and data within the other participants in that room.

Everyone can setup his own venue-server, hosting venues for other people.
BUT there are some BIGGER venue servers at e.g. ANL and NCSA, acting as a
centralized meeting points for the community. NCSA even has that very
nice scheduler http://agschedule.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ where you can reserve
rooms for your meetings and invite other sites to join you meetings, upload
data in advance, reserve "closed meetings". So this is very convenient.

So I would say:
If you want to collaborate with people from all over the world, use the ANL or
NCSA. If you are planning to have meetings with a closed community most
of the time (in your local region), setup you own VenueServer...

Am I right community??

Regards,

Martin Polak
GUP-University Linz (Austria)